[SECC] GQP rules

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Mon Apr 11 18:12:46 EDT 2005

The reason for the extra points for CW contacts in GQP and most other
contacts is twofold.  It takes more equipment and skill to make CW
contacts.  It takes more time to make CW contacts.  The extra points for
CW contacts is pretty standard in most contests.  Some use different
ratios, 1 for phone and 3 for CW and mobiles (boy is that a nightmare to
score--phone mobiles count 3 and CW mobiles count the same as a fixed CW
station), 2 for phone and 3 for CW.  But is is a rare contest where
CW/Digital and Phone count the same.

Also, remember that whatever changes we make require changes in every
software logging program.  It has been hard enough to get the few that
we have to cover the GQP.  I guess there are modules for NA, TR, EQF,
Writelog, N3FJP, N1MM, and maybe SD.  It took us from 1999 until now to
get those available and you still can't use CT and others.  We'd be, in
effect, starting over with the contest program modules.

Already there are QSO Parties that I have logging modules for that have
changed their rules and I have to do a heck of a lot of editing the
Cabrillo file before submission to the sponsors because either there is
no current contest module for NA or I don't have the current one.  There
is a lot to be said for consistency.

Also, while nothing is set in stone and I doubt anybody is keeping
all-records anymore (I did for the 20 years or so I ran the contest in
the 1960s, 70s, and early 80s), any change will make all-time scores
meaningless or at least will require a lot of ****s in any such record.

73,

John, K4BAI.