[SECC] GQP changes

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Tue Dec 6 20:21:51 EST 2005

On Dec 6, 2005, at 6:25 PM, Michael Condon wrote:

>   On the start and end times from, I would like to hear from the
> rover guys on the item by Gary WB4SQ about a 2 PM local start
> time.  The rovers carry the ball for GQP.  Their great cooperation/
> competition really make a lot of our counties available and their
> comments are requested.

I've never fully understood the logic behind the late start on
Saturday, and the early start on Sunday. For those that regularly
attend christian worship services, this cuts out a lot of operating
time on Sunday. (I'm not necessarily advocating a change, just trying
to understand)

>   I propose that we allow three types of entries, SSB, CW, and Mixed.

Sounds good to me. It would be nice to encourage more activity on
SSB. For some reason, state QSO parties seem to be dominated by CW.

>   I also propose that Ed's comment of needing 3 entries in a
> category/class be met for an award to be issued be adopted.  This
> may trim the total award set a bit.

Makes sense.

>   I do not have a problem with the 1 vs 2 points for SSB vs CW...
> although a line of reason would reverse the situation based on the
> bandwidth/sensitivity advantage of CW...

Other things being equal, the 2 / 1 point ratio makes sense given the
lower data rate of CW.

>   My approach is to make our event open to many forms of
> participation.
>   This is why I think the use of spots by all is good, let's use
> all the toys we have.

I'm not sure I'm thrilled by this, but it probably doesn't matter too
much.

I am glad to see the club competition idea made it in.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901