Cebik antenna and other short limited space dipole antennas (was: RE: Re: [SECC] K4OGG, CWSS)

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Sat Jan 1 10:17:25 EST 2005

On Nov 9, 2004, at 9:14 AM, <ku8e at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I think he is talking about a dipole fed with 50 ohm coax.... not 450
> ohm open wire. Open wire has little or no loss....

Open wire has little or no loss in the MATCHED condition. All feedlines
exhibit some loss, and the loss is amplified when the feedline is
unmatched due to reflections.

When feeding an untuned doublet with open wire, we're often not
concerned with the actual loss of the antenna system, just making a
fixed compromise to get all-band coverage.

W8JI was writing in response to the LB Cebik 88 foot dipole, which has
reached sort of a cult status, especially in QRP circles.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901