[SECC] FW: Bill Windle QSO Party - June 11, 2005

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Thu Jun 2 18:45:26 EDT 2005

Previously sent to W4NTI.

Tommy

W4BQF

-----Original Message-----
From: Tommy [mailto:aldermant at alltel.net]
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 9:36 PM
To: 'Dan/W4NTI'
Subject: RE: [SECC] Bill Windle QSO Party - June 11, 2005

It's not really very much different from any other CW club/group. The CFO
(Chicken Fat Operators) group was actually formed by W9TO as a spoof of the
FOC (First Class Operators Club). (because Jim Hicks had numerous run-in's
with the leadership of the FOC) The entry requirements were somewhat
different however. To become a CFO member one needed solid silver hair and
thick bi-focals hanging on your nose and you better have a great sense of
humor too. Then there is/was the SOB group (Speed Operating Bunch) wherein
you had to talk with two members at 70 wpm to become a member.

So they all have their 'quirks', the CFO and the SOB groups were mainly
focused on having fun; the FOC is a little more formally organized by the
British. But the purpose of these groups is to keep CW alive and well, and
most of all, more fun.

The reason the FOC may sound like an elitist group is mainly because they
constantly have inter-club competitions for various awards. And this
requires numerous contacts with folks who are already members. Most all of
the member's I have met are both really good CW operators and great
conversationalist, something kinda hard to find today. This Bill Windle
event encourages non-members to join in the event, and of course they are
looking for new members during this event.

I, too, at one time, considered the FOC as a snobbish group of hams, and
initially not interested at all in becoming a member. But I quickly changed
my mind once I started talking with these folks after becoming a member.
However, the name 'First Class CW Operators' in itself does tend to give off
an elitist air, but that just is not the case.

Might be interesting to give it a try and see for yourself?

Tommy

W4BQF