[SECC] Field Day 2005

James Nail james.nail at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 3 16:15:19 EDT 2005

Hello fellow SECC member,

It's that time of year again.  I haven't been a oft heard voice on the
reflector, and don't have the powerhouse contest station I once had, but
some things die slowly!!  I've found a niche though in a group of similarly
minded guys that operate some pretty serious contest stations for field day.
This will be my third year after a 20 something year break since 1975.  Once
again, we plan to activate special event station N4N for Field Day 2005!
The operation will be from the same site, a wonderful spot on a 200 acre
farm in Paulding County with wide open pastures for towers and beams,
surrounded by tall trees just right for the wire antennas!  Field Day this
year is Saturday June 25th 2PM for 24 straight hours.

Last year we added a second CW station, more yagi's than NQ4I or W3LPL would
put on a single Big Bertha (gotta love 'em), and a serious satellite setup
and we topped 3800 contacts with a 9A operation!  We had a ton of fun
including some fine southern cooking by the lady folks.  We wound up number
21 overall, number one in 9A, and Number 1 in Georgia!  This year, the plan
is build on our past success and shoot for top 10 overall.

We have plenty of yagis, rotors, tower parts, and radios, so we've got
enough equipment lined up to keep the effort at 9A, with four stations on HF
phone, 3 stations on HF CW, one HF digital station, and the VHF/UHF and
satellite stations.  We'll also be set up for the Get-On-The-Air (GOTA)
station.  Like last year, we'll operate in the 150W category, with computer
logging using Writelog with networked computers.  Field Day Camp setup will
begin on Thursday or Friday, and antenna/station setup will begin 2:00pm
Friday.  If the propagation gods smile on 10 and 15 meters, we should be
able to top 5000 QSOs!

The most important need is for operators--YOU!  We can make fine tuning
adjustments to the plan later, but we need to get some idea of how many
folks are interested.  So, please let me know what your current plans are
for this year's Field Day:  If you're already lined up with a field day
operation, I'd still love to know what your call will be so I can work you
during FD!

1. I’m in! Sign me up as a full-time participant.

2. I’m interested and will be there part time, but not the whole weekend.
(let's us know when and what band/mode you're interested in)

3. I will be operating from _____________ and will see you in the log book.

4. Add me to your reflector only, and I may join in later.

We’ll also have a booth at the Atlanta Hamfest to encourage operators to
come out.  Before Field Day we’d like to have an idea of who and when so we
can plan accordingly.

Also, if you know of any others who may be interested in participating,
invite them to join the yahoo group, or let me know and I’ll be glad to add
them to the email list.

Think Field Day!

73 de Jim WA2MBP