[SECC] [SEDXC] DX Publications

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Thu Aug 17 20:42:59 EDT 2006

Basics for 'hardcore' DX'ing:

Rule #1:        Listen - Listen - Listen....it is OK to wear out your
VFO knob by turning it very slowly.

Rule #2 thru #99:       see Rule #1

DX Pile Up's

Rule #1:        See Rule #1 above

Rule #2:        NEVER - NEVER - NEVER call the DX on his transmit
frequency. Listen to the pile up and determine where the DX is
working. Often when he says "UP 2", you will find him working
stations up 4 or 6 or 8, etc. If he tends to be moving up the band,
put your VFO up 300 to 500 hz higher than the station he just worked.
Don't have a radio that will work split?  GET ONE!

Rule #3:        NEVER -  NEVER - NEVER play frequency COP!! Playing
frequency COP, sending UP-UP-UP on the DX frequency creates more QRM
than the person calling on the DX frequency. Most LIDS think they are
being helpful...they are NOT being helpful!!!  Playing frequency COP
has the tendency to find one's coax shredded into very short pieces,
or find a pin or nail mysteriously stuck in your coax in several places.

Rule #4:        NEVER spot rare DX on a DX cluster until AFTER you
have worked him!

Rule #5:        Get the best antenna you can possibly afford, be it a
yagi, a quad, or wire antennas.

Rule #6:        Get POWER. You may note that there are very few QRP
operators on the DXCC Honor Roll...there is a reason for that!

Rule #7:        Make it fun for yourself. It will not take too long
before the 'hardcore' is in your blood.

Magazines are too late. By the time any info is published in a
magazine, QSL's have already been sent out! Get on a DX cluster but
remember when you see a DX spot, about 20,000 other hams see it also.
The 'trick' is to get there first. You do that by applying Rule #1.

Tom - W4BQF