[SECC] Building Permits for Tower Bases

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Wed Aug 23 21:11:12 EDT 2006

On Aug 23, 2006, at 10:44 AM, JT Croteau wrote:

> I am clearly exempt from the section of code pertaining to set-backs
> for tower installations.  However, will this 16' from my neighbor
> throw up any red flags with the building inspector when I go to apply
> for the building permit for the footing?

A typical small tribander will have a turning radius of 15-20 feet.
If you could move it just four more feet away from the property line,
you'd be able to accommodate that.

I would suggest you look up the specs on any potential antennas you'd
want to put on this tower and figure out what setbacks you need.

The other issue you need to consider for a free-standing tower like
this is where exactly you're going to put the concrete monument that
holds it up. Free-standing bases are huge blocks of concrete - like 3
to 8 cubic yards! You don't want to put it somewhere that might
intersect your septic drain field or other buried utilities.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901