[SECC] Building Permits for Tower Bases

JT Croteau jt.w6fo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 22:10:16 EDT 2006

On 8/23/06, Bill Coleman <aa4lr at arrl.net> wrote:
> I would suggest you look up the specs on any potential antennas you'd
> want to put on this tower and figure out what setbacks you need.

Yup, been doing that.  The tower has a load rating of only 9.7 sq. ft.
@ 80 MPH so I will not be putting up anything that large.  My
immediate plans is for a 2-ele Quad on a 12' boom for 20/15/10/6, an
Alpha-Delta DX-B sloper for the low bands, and a couple side arm
mounted FM verticals.  This is my first tower and will be a major
improvement over anything I have been able to put up in the air in the
past.  I think this will keep me happy for a few years.

> Free-standing bases are huge blocks of concrete - like 3
> to 8 cubic yards! You don't want to put it somewhere that might
> intersect your septic drain field or other buried utilities.

Yeah, we are the original owners of this house and saw it being built.
 The backyard is completely free of utilities.  We are on city sewer
and electrical is buried, it all comes in via the front yard.

The manufacturer of the tower recommends a 3' diameter x 6' deep
footing requiring a minimum of 1.57 cu. yards of concrete.  The tower
was on a 4' x 4' by probably 6' square footing for the past 10 years
at the previous QTH.

--
 JT Croteau - W6FO - Canton, GA
 ARS #2,147 | NoGA-QRP | SEDXC | SECC | ARRL