[SECC] no code license

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Tue Dec 19 08:02:23 EST 2006

On Dec 18, 2006, at 12:13 PM, Rick Dougherty NQ4I wrote:

> And ya know...some might learn the code...I heard an old contestor
> tell a
> bunch of younger contestors who were ssb only op's...."good
> contestor's do
> CW as well as SSB" and that provided the motivation for me in 1979 to
> upgrade to extra class and begin CW contesting....now its my favorite
> mode....

I agree with Rick here. Although I passed my 20 wpm, and have always
been able to copy code, I never really had the interest in CW
contesting until W4AN encouraged me about 1996. Now I look forward to
CW contests.

Even without license requirements, there are at least four good
reasons to learn and use CW:

1) It's fun!
2) Dxing
3) QRP and homebrew
4) Contesting

CW will remain a part of the hobby so long as we keep using it.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901