[SECC] [SEDXC] BPL

Ron Hooper w4wa at alltel.net
Sat Feb 11 07:28:28 EST 2006

The BPL systems will allow ingress and signals in close proximity will
penetrate their system. Ham signals are not the only problem. Lots of
emergency systems radios get into the BPL. Apparently the BPL supplier can
prevent using frequencies that are common with such radio systems to avoid
interference.

I am constantly  tormented with power line noise. The power company will
work to make repairs but its no time that the noise returns. This problem
has increased over the past decade due to the power company increasing the
line voltage in residential sections to 25 kv on green wooden poles. It is
actually the current construction practice that is the problem coupled with
the higher line voltage. The new green poles shrink more than the black ones
did allowing staples and screws to get loose. Going through the weather
changes enhances the problem, look at your decks made with green wood
(treated wood) how the nails stick up. Any loose hardware near the top of
the pole will cause an arc and generate interference. A good example is a
staple holding the ground wire coming down the pole near the top.

Since the line voltage has been increased here, I estimated that I have cost
the EMC approximately $40,000 in labor to make repairs. Initial contacts
with the EMC and engineering did not get results in the beginning. I
actually had to talk with the EMC CEO and let him know the service was not
acceptable to get results. I don't know how much additional cost to make
repairs effects the EMC decisions since it is just passed down to the coop
customers like ourselves.

The ARRL did a good job trying to keep BPL off the lines but reasoning did
not work. Politics and profits prevailed as usual regardless of who gets
hurt in the process.  My guess is that when 1.5KW interferes with BPL, there
will be a series of letters to the FCC, to which they will need to expand
their staff to handle, and the ham will be examined to make sure their
signal is clean and operating within regulations. After that, nothing
happens in many cases. Only the higher profile cases will get attention,
similar to the cable TV interference ingress problems.

As with many other hams, I plan to set back and do nothing. Somehow any
reaction always cost me more money in the end.

Ron W4WA