[SECC] Simple Antenna for 6 Meters that Works

K4SAV RadioIR at charter.net
Mon Jun 12 22:16:31 EDT 2006

..."I say again a stack will beat any single antenna 90% of the
time...period...de Rick nq4i"...

Over flat ground I will agree with you, and for MOST other locations I
would also agree, but there are locations with sloping ground where it
is easy to get an antenna too high.  It is these locations where a stack
may show little or no benefit over a single antenna.

Also remember that finding a location with sloping ground in all
directions is hard to find.  If part of the azimuth goes uphill, then
you are going to be worse off than a flatlander in those directions.

If you are using HFTA to model a 20 meter stack with spacing of 65 and
90 ft, you need to correct the resulting gain HFTA gives you. This was
the reason for my caution about HFTA with close spaced stacks.  It
considers the antennas to be point sources. You can actually put two
antennas at the same height in HFTA and it will show 3 dB gain.  If you
could do this in the real world, the gain would be zero. Here are couple
of references on stacking distances.
http://www.w8ji.com/stacking_broadside_collinear.htm
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/stacking/stacking2.htm

Jerry, K4SAV