[SECC] Winning SS

Lee Hiers lee.hiers at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 11:40:35 EDT 2006

On 10/2/06, K9AY <k9ay at k9ay.com> wrote:

> 3. 80 could be very important if not too noisy. One key to rate, whether one
> radio or two, is to keep finding new stations -- readily done by changing to
> a band with different skip length. In successive CW SSs, I used a vertical
> and a delta loop on 80. Performance was completely "by the book" -- with the
> vertical, I worked more distant stations, and with the loop, I worked more
> close-in stuff. Both were about equally useful for rate and score; guess I
> need both!

Here's my rate sheet from 1996, roughly the same spot in the solar
cycle, when I came in Top Ten low power from W4WA's station:
http://www.orbod.net/aa4ga/SS96CWR.HTM

80m was the biggest band, followed closely by 40.  According to TR, I
had 208 band changes and 96 second-radio QSOs.  I should probably have
changed bands more...or hit the 2nd radio harder.

The antenna on 80 was a 3-el inverted-vee Yagi fixed NE.  The height
was fairly low, around 80' or so if I remember correctly.  I don't
think I had a vertical on 80 that year, but may have.  I think the
vertical was another year.  The first 80m QSO was during the 0z hour.

The 40m antenna was a shorty 40 at about 80' or so....again, not sure
of the exact height.

> 4. Got an old tribander? Got wire for a dipole? From the SE, you need to
> cover everything from due W to NE. To keep from wearing out the rotator (and
> waiting for the antenna to turn), have an extra antenna for 40 and 20,
> oriented broadside due North or NNE. Low height is fine.

That's a good idea, and one I need to implement.  However, I might
broadside mine 100/280 degrees or so, which would give a quick-switch
antenna for picking up west coast and Caribbean stations.  I want my
main antenna at about 10 degrees for coverage of the population
centers.  Another alternative second antenna is a vertical with a
decent ground system.

> 6. QRP and LP stations have a tendency to S&P too much. As you S&P, you'll
> find a clear frequency now and then -- jump on it and start CQing! The first
> time I woke up and started doing this (QRP), I calculated that it added 30
> or 40 bonus QSOs to the log.

"Act loud" even if you're not.

All this SS talk...I may have to get on the air over the next few
weeks and brush up on my CW and give it a try!  CWSS is the best
contest in existence.  Period.  ;-)

73 de Lee
--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA