[SECC] Who is the Boss?

Lee Hiers lee.hiers at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 21:22:00 EDT 2006

On 10/9/06, JT Croteau <jt.w6fo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Exactly, but at the same time there was a post a few weeks ago stating
> that Hal was out of line by enoforcing any rules on the list as it was
> not his right to do so, even as president, to ban or threaten to ban
> anyone.

Yes, I was out of town / out of touch for that last outburst, so I
didn't pay a lot of attention to it after-the-fact.

Since you're fairly new here JT, a *small* bit of historical perspective:

As noted today by some others here, the SECC was started to be a
repository for score reporting for the contests for the folks down
here...to have some place to aggregate our scores in contests with
club competitions.  Nothing more.  It was not started as a traditional
club - it was never meant to be one.  The intent was that there be as
little political structure / interference as possible.  For example,
the only reason that there are bylaws at all, is because the ARRL
requires it to become an affilitated club.  Back then, the ARRL
required attendance at a minimum of two meetings per year for someone
to be eligible to submit scores.  We would have official in-person
meetings primarily at hamfests.  And we would always have two on the
same day.  Convene one meeting, which could only last five minutes,
adjourn, then immediately convene a second five-minute meeting.  If
you couldn't make, say, the Atlanta hamfest, you could call a meeting
at the Huntsville hamfest or anywhere else for that matter.  I believe
the requirement was two people.  The *real* meeting-place was (is)
this reflector, where everyone could discuss things contest,
particularly local-related, on a daily basis.  This was the beauty of
the concept, as designed by Bill Fisher (W4AN).  He, as I, and many of
the original members despised the petty politics that creep into most
organizations.

As time went on, some folks wanted more than just a score repository /
online hangout.  From that we've gotten a club call, sponsorship of
the GA QSO party, sponsorship of plaques in other contests, etc.  Most
of which I, personally, disagree with - because of the contradiction
to the original purpose.  I'm not saying they're bad things because
they're not.  But they are contrary to the spirit in which the SECC
was founded.

Hope this helps.

73 de Lee
--