[SECC] Notes on 40 and SAC

AE4Y ae4y at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 28 18:24:15 EDT 2006

I've been reading this discussion chain with every intention not to get
pulled in, but ignoring my better judgment, I have to comment on two
points made in the last two contributions.

First, it's a gross generalization to say that "new RTTY operators just
don't give a rip about CW" and one which can not be supported with
objective evidence.   I've been operating CW for 38 years and RTTY for
about 5 years.  I still enjoy and respect CW as my preferred mode of
operation.  Based on the growing number of familiar call signs that I
routinely work during RTTY contests, it's apparent that large numbers of
other old time CW contesters/operators are also enjoying the mode.

Secondly, are we to accept that once a gentleman's agreement is
established, there will never come a time when it may need to be revised
or at least revisited?  Gentleman's agreements are established to
address issues related to a particular set of circumstances.  If those
circumstances change, it serves no useful purpose to continue to require
adherence to an otherwise obsolete agreement.

There was a time when I could tune from 7.000 to 7.150 on any evening
and have a very difficult time finding a clear spot to initiate a QSO.
Keeping operating modes separated with a gentleman's agreement when this
level of activity was the norm, obviously makes a lot of sense.

Regrettably, it's not uncommon now to tune across that same segment in
the evening and hear only one or two QSOs; sometimes none.  Given the
current levels of activity on our bands, perhaps it's time to re-examine
some of our long-held operating habits.

Kent, AE4Y