[SECC] Huntsville Hamfest

Rick Dougherty nq4i at contesting.com
Mon Aug 20 07:21:11 EDT 2007

Hi Guys...just got home yesterday afternoon from the Huntsville
Hamfest...Jim VE7ZO and I were asked by the Ala Contest Group to do a pair
of presentations at the Hamfest...I was really impressed with this
hamfest...it's venue was well chosen...it was perfect size and very
convenient to both the Holiday Inn Select and the Embassy Suites
hotels...the drive over was very delightful....restaurants abound in the
area....and the downtown Huntsville area has a really wonderful historic
district and a warm and homey feel to it...(no I don't work for the
Huntsville Chamber of Commerce, but I did stay at the Holiday Inn Select)

The attendance by my estimate was over 2000 people...the fact it was the
ARRL National Convention had to have some positive impact as well...the
major equipment manufacturers were well represented, as well as the
publishers of QST and CQ magazines...the flea market was ample, and could
have been a little larger in nature...the whole event was indoors and air
conditioned!

For those who made the trip, I am sure that the event was enjoyed...SECC'ers
seen at the Huntsville hamfest include N4GG, WB4SQ, N4NX, N5BI, KC4BVF,
VE7ZO, NQ4I, K4TD, KI4MTU, WA4ILO, and I am sure others...if I forgot to
mention your attendance...I apologize...too many faces and so little
time.....

Now for the meat of my post to the reflector...a little brainstorming
session was held, and the result was whether next year at the Huntsville
Hamfest the SECC and ACG, along with TCG and other contest clubs and maybe
dx clubs to have a convention within a convention...my wife suggested a
couple of  hospitality suites Friday evening with Pizza, Beer and Wine....we
could have some workshops and presentations along with the hamfest..if the
clubs were sharing the responsibility of presentations, we could have a very
interesting agenda, along with some really neat workshops...the purpose of
this letter is to see if there is any interest in the SECC to pursue this as
a possibility...sound off ...keep your comments positive please...I am very
interested in improving our relationship with some of the other clubs and
forming possible alliances...they are our neighbors, and as such we need to
have good relationships with them...I see this as a possible "small Dayton"
type of hamfest...it could really grow into a drawing factor from the SE US
all the way to Texas and maybe as far east as NC...we could sure use the
social opportunity, and the forums could be of benefit to all....

So SECC members what say you to this idea???

73 de Rick NQ4I