[SECC] Fw: NAQP SSB KU8E Single Op HP

Lee Hiers lee.hiers at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 21:46:28 EDT 2007

On 8/21/07, ku8e <ku8e at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I have to disagree with you guys. The stations with the big antenna farms
> have even more of an advantage when conditions are marginal,

No one has said that stations with better antenna systems don't have
an advantage.  That wasn't your argument, raising the power limit was.

> It might be true that these stations have some
> lower antennas for domestic contests but it makes a big difference having a
> bunch of yagis high and clear in the air. Even running 100 watts these
> stations can work people on backscatter on the higher bands (20-15-10
> meters)

I thought you said that those guys running folks on scatter *had* to
be running high power??

> Someone with a TH-6 at 60 ft and maybe a 2 el 40 above that can fare better
> against these guys. Those of us like N4GG and myself that are running wire
> antennas cannot.

Didn't K3JT run nothing but wires for a long time?  Hasn't he made
some pretty good scores?

> I guess can't see the reasoning you all have that limiting everyone to
> running 100 watts levels the playing field.

It doesn't level the playing field.  It does level one aspect of the
playing field:  the power.  What we don't understand is why you don't
get that.  How do you expect to keep up with stations running higher
power if you can't do it now with everyone running the same power??

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA
"Have Dobro Will Travel"