[SECC] Reference for radial discussion

Carlton and/or Lana Floyd w4ctk at farmerstel.com
Fri Aug 24 20:47:16 EDT 2007

I once saw part of the installing process for a commercial radio transmitting tower.  The counterpoise grid was at least an acre...a lot of steel wires/rods welded at their intersections...it was very extensive.

The best vertical antenna installation I was ever a part of was the MARS station aboard USS Forrestal.  We clamped half a TA-33 driven element on the catwalk railing, port side aft, pointing straight down because we could not have anything above the level of the flight deck. Our counterpoise/radial system was about 85,000 tons of steel floating in a lot of brine.  Needless to say, it was directional...we could not work much off the starboard bow but had little trouble with the other 270 degrees.  And "CQ MM REGION 1, 2, or 3" seldom went unanswered.

Ah, the Good Ole Days !       73 / CF