[SECC] Moving the circle

Hal Kennedy halken at comcast.net
Mon Jun 25 14:26:03 EDT 2007

To move the circle, I believe we need to know who and what we are giving up
and who and what we are gaining.  Nobody has volunteered, to date, to do
this part of the job - it's the hard part.

Speaking for myself, If a new circle location is proposed - rather than just
bandied about - I would like to know what new members we will pick up,
including what scores they have contributed to ARRL and CQ contests in the
last three years - and affirmation via direct contact with these individuals
that they plan to continue on the air and will contribute scores to SECC if
the circle is moved.
Then, I would like to know who has contributed scores to SECC in the last
three years who we will be leaving behind, plus any notes about these
folks - such as "gone to ACG as of six months ago."  The "left behind" folks
may also need to be directly contacted.

Several folks have encouraged moving the circle to pick up "good old Harry"
to pick a name out of the air, on the basis that Harry says he is "thinking
about" getting a rig and getting back on the air.  Personally, I would only
move the circle for guys in the "Harry" category after Harry submits a year
or more of scores to ARRL and/or CQ.  Most Harry guys never quite seem to
materialize.  This is just like the SCP files - the only way to get in is to
get on the air.

I also have no interest in moving the circle just to have a little less
ocean or a little less TN, or a little more or less of anything in the
circle - too vague for me.  What scores and what stations, stated with some
precision and follow-up, are we going to gain and lose?

Anybody want to take on the hard part of the job?

Hal
N4GG