[SECC] K9AY Loops

Hal Kennedy halken at comcast.net
Tue Oct 2 16:27:15 EDT 2007

Its interesting how some subjects that have been around a while
sometimes suddenly pop up and become 'in vogue."  NN4ZZ and K4DLI have
just added K9AY loops for receive, and three different groups and/or
individuals have been over to my QTH in the last two weeks to inspect
mine.

As far as I'm concerned, you can't get a better bargain than a K9AY if
you don't have room for beverages.  They are thirty feet in diameter and
25 feet high and they do work.

You can buy the one from Array Solutions for significant bux or you can
build your own for around $10.  Mine is home brew.  Gary does not
recommend decoupling beads on the feedline, but I believe they are a
useful precaution to keep common mode current off the shield.

Anyway, Gary, K9AY, has just published an extensive set of tech notes on
how to make them, how to use more than one in phase, etc.  All the data
can be found at:

http://www.aytechnologies.com/

It's worthwhile reading.  I have spare cores if folks want to wind
transformers - it takes 5 minutes to make one.  I use 2 turns and 6
turns, Gary uses 3 turns and 9 turns but our results are the same.  Ill
be adding a second K9AY soon and phase them with an MFJ noise canceller.
Can't work 'em if you can't hear 'em.

73, Hal N4GG