[SECC] 80 Meter Antenna Ideas

ku8e at bellsouth.net ku8e at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 9 09:56:32 EDT 2007

Hi All...

I am looking for some antenna ideas for 80 meters for our PJ4A trip to Bonaire for CQWW CW.

We have a 90 foot tower that holds the 40 meter yagi and a C3 above it. The tower has a pully
system on it with a tram line. In the past we used this to pull the top of the 160 meter inverted L
near the top of the tower. Since K4BAI's and my trip back in Feburary the Inverted L has been
permanantly installed on that tower. We can now use the tram system to support some other type
of antenna.

There is presently a 80 meter dipole at around 60 ft that is broadside towards the USA. It works fine
for working W/VE along with our beverage. What I would like to do is maybe have some type of
directional antenna pointed towards EU that could maybe be switched to the Pacific when the band dies
to EU.

   I was scouring thru the ON4UN antenna book this weekend looking for ideas. I was thinking of maybe trying some type of phased wire vertical system. Phased verticals spaces 1/4 wl apart and with a
135 degree delay line you can get about 4.5db gain endfire. I also saw a diagram for a wire vertical with
a sloping refector and director. The reflector had a loading coil with an Xl of 65 ohms on it. The director
was grounded. I was also thinking about some phased delta loop system. I would like to try a quad but I think the tower is not tall enough.

Jeff KU8E