[SECC] Results NCCC Summer NA Sprint Ladder Competition

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Mon Aug 25 16:15:42 EDT 2008

Congratulations to the four winners of the NS Ladder V Competition:

W4NZ, K7SS, N6RO and N9RV in their respective divisions.

Ed, W0YK has had the results posted for some time now at www.ncccsprint.com.

In the East of Ms. River Division, Ted, W4NZ's 1084-pt margin over K4AF
hides the closeness of the race:  At week 14, Tor, N4OGW was in the lead by
about 400 points but alas, a western trip took Tor out of the picture for
the last contest giving him an 11-week rather than a 12-week score.  The
ladder competition rewards operating proficiency, station capability and
good old butt in the chair performance.  Our former and almost perennial
winner Mike, W9RE gracefully slid back  to 4th place this year.  Ted's 17882
winning total represented a stunning improvement over his NSL IV total score
of 15048.  Perhaps Ted will share his secrets of such dramatic 1-year
improvement, or perhaps not noting that in addition to Tor, N9CK, N3BB and
K9BGL are closing in on victory.

In the West of Ms. River Division, Dan, K7SS scored a stunning total of
18625 points for his 12 highest scores, winning a NCCC Wine award for the
2nd year in a row and accompanied by our sincere congratulations.  Dan also
has the top average per week score over all 15 weeks.

Not only did our master contester Ken, N6RO win the NCCC division of the
ladder, but his score of 19984 was tops nationally by a significant margin.
Congratulations, Ken.

The Newcomers division has special rules, counting the top 6 scores in the
last 10 weeks.  Pat, operating from his new MT QTH, played the contest like
a fine violin, entering precisely in time to contribute exactly six scores
for a winning 10122 points.  Notably, Pat had an average score of 1687, just
6 points below Dan, K7SS's average of 1963.  So next year could be
especially interesting.

Special mention goes to K6VVA, W0BH K9BGL and W4NZ who actually showed up 15
out of 15 weeks.  Notably, Bob, W0BH got in vacation time, operating mobile,
once for a few QSO's from the rare NS Ladder state of Nebraska always
weaving in and out of thunderstorms.

A total of 102 stations participated at least once this year, a small
increase over NSL IV when we had 96.  The total score normalized to the same
number of weeks was 405,000 last year vs. 412,000 this year, reflecting
continuing dismal conditions.  Average number of multipliers was about the
same.

The results of our Dupes vs No Dupes experiment are noted in a message
following this one.

On behalf of our NS Ladder Board, N6ZFO, N4AF, W9RE, K4BAI and N3BB, we
thank you for continued support of a contest that we hope is a lot of fun
for everyone.  Comments are always welcome. We are trying to cook up a short
Thursday Ladder style event this winter emphasizing low band operation.

73 Bill n6zfo
Contest Director
NCCC Sprint Ladder