[SECC] NAQP Teams

Scott Straw scottstraw at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 30 15:54:18 EST 2008

Howdy Pardnuhs!

I'm still learning the language here in my new home in Houston, The Republic
of Texas, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.  I've leased a
townhome for the present time, and of course it is deed restricted.  I had
an interesting conversation with our realtor who explained that there are no
zoning restrictions because "here in Texas, we believe that no man should be
told how he can develop his own personal property."  He was quick to point
out, however, that property owners can have self-imposed community
"standards" so long as they are clearly advertised to all who would venture
into the community with an investment intent.  Since then I have noticed
numerous signs posted at the entrances to subdivisions that state "This is a
Deed Restricted Community" in big bold letters (sometimes in both English
and Spanish).

That being said, If I am able to extract enough gear from the myriad of
packing boxes, I will try to get on the air for the NAQP SSB and RTTY
events.  Please put me on a "B" or "C" team for both of those events.

At the moment, I'm not sure how I'll do it, but I'm leaning toward a
modified Field Day-style effort.  I have my Hustler "candelabra" mobile
setup, my G5RV, and the now infamous one-sided slinky antenna.  I'll be
using 120VAC for the radio and so that I can use my computer for logging.  I
will be scouting for an amenable public location as I am able. Once I
determine where I'll be, I'll post to the group.

I am not "chickening out" on the NAQP CW 'test, I just don't think I'll be
unpacked enough by the 10th.  We made the final exit from Roswell yesterday
and the moving truck arrives in Houston on January 3 at 8:30AM. If by some
miracle it looks late in the week like I will be able to get on the air for
a part of the CW event, I'll send a note in time to get me onto a "C" or "D"
team.

On the other hand.. if anyone has contact with a competitive contest team in
the N/NW area of Houston that would welcome a stranger who would be glad to
be a food and beverage fetcher, "Armstrong Antenna Rotator," or similar
menial laborer in exchange for an opportunity to observe a first class
contesting operation (in any mode), please send me a personal message.

Best Wishes for a Great 2009,

Scott, KB4KBS(/5)
Houston, TX