[SECC] Contesting with 100 watts and wires

Dick Bentley k2uft at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 16 15:47:05 EDT 2008

I don't normally espress an opinion, but somnething about Hal's comments and Jeff's endorsement just created a reaction in me.  Sure, if you are out to win the contest, no matter what it is, then high power and big antennas are necessary.  If you are contesting for fun (what a concept, eh?), 100 watts and a dipole, which is the extent of my station, are perfectly adequate. Sure, I do have some trouble being heard on the West Coast on 80, but somehow or other I always manage to work a few stations out there, Dick, K4XU comes to mind immediately (great ears and no doubt some receiving gain.) Enough QSL's for Honor Roll (I'll get around to submitting one of these days), DXCC Certificate says 320 (all with 100 W.) on the latest label. The amp I used briefly was sold to a guy that needed more punch so he could impress his friends with his studio quality audio. Pardon the rant, I don't dust off the soap box too often!

Dick  K2UFT