[SECC] FW: SS CW N4GG/4 Single Op LP

Hal Kennedy halken at comcast.net
Mon Nov 3 07:45:22 EST 2008

Thought I would send this to the SECC reflector - even though I was
outside the circle and the score had to go to FCG.

Hal

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N4GG/4
Operator(s): N4GG
Station: N4GG

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: SFL
Operating Time (hrs): 10:11

------------
  160:    0
   80:    0
   40:  112
   20:  139
   15:    0
   10:    0
------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Lashed something up at the new condo in SFL at the last minute: FT-857,
Hustler sticks for 20 and 40 on a second floor balcony.  Changed out the
Hustler on 20 for a hamstick on Sunday - a major improvement.  The only
difference between a 20M Hustler mobile whip and a dummy load is the
dummy load has a better SWR.  All S&P at about a 25 rate - you really
have to want to contest to do this.  Nice salt-water take-off to Europe!
No computer interface - all sending was QLF with a mal-adjusted Bencher
(didn't have the Allen wrench but pliers work) - sorry about the CW, I'm
rusty.  Operating table was a cardboard box - harder on the back than I
imagined and it wandered around when sending.  The little rice-box
receiver held up remarkably well - had the factory DSP and an INRAD 500
in it - without those - forget SS on a double conversion RX.  Heard
every section - the pileup for VY was not breakable from here - lots of
CQ'ing in my face from the other sections.  Worked 250 Qs and gave it up
- only 1,000 short of my goal - Hi, Hi.  This was a good try-out for the
SFL QTH.  Noise is low and propagation sounded okay - Sunday being
better on 20 than Saturday...but, the antenna restrictions are BAD.  FL
operating may all be guest operating until I can get a large junk
sailboat for $10 (maybe even free - they are around) with a nice high
mast - it doesn't have to run or anything - don't need any sails or a
working engine - just tow it to my dock and never move it.  Boats can
have antennas - condos can't - its in the condo rules (EVERYTHING is in
the condo rules).  Just need an air conditioned cabin and 220V at the
dock
- no problem, instant ham shack/contest station.  The mast stays would
make
great slopers or dipoles - right on salt water.  Big STEPPIR vertical on
the
aft deck.  Wonder what the condo police would say about a C31XR on top
of a 50 ft sailboat mast with 1.5 KW on it?  Full power to a vertical on
salt water makes great corona displays at night.  How to make new
friends! N4GG part-time /4 and making plans.