[SECC] HOW DO YOU BEAT BOREDOM IN A CONTEST?

Ralph k1zzi at comcast.net
Fri Jun 5 05:46:35 PDT 2009

There was no time for boredom in last weekends WPX contest but here are some interesting ideas.  Mark, N2QT
kindly agreed to share his article with us.

HOW DO YOU BEAT BOREDOM IN A CONTEST?

from Mark, N2QT

I've been trying to figure out how to keep myself interested enough in
holding a run frequency when the rate drops off. Best I can tell that's a
key to a better score in a contest like the 160 SSB where run frequencies
are valuable and the whole band is full of CQers who've you have already
worked. .

As we all know the BIC (Butt in Chair) factor is key to improving contest
scores. In addition in many contests 'If you're not running you're losing'.
Many of us struggle at times to put these into practice. Here is what I've
learned, heard, or used to help me.

Be Comfortable, or you'll start thinking about doing anything else.
1. Have a comfortable chair (Herman Miller Aerons are recommended but
expensive)
2. Be warm/cool enough. Be sure to factor in the heat from linears.
3. If you use bifocals consider computer glasses to avoid stressing your
neck
4. Noise can wear you down, use good headphones to reduce outside noise. DSP
noise reduction can help, although it can hurt intelligibility. I find that
I look forward to the quiet when transmitting so having TX MON off works for
me.
5. Be sure your keyboard/mouse/rig seating is ergonomically correct. See
http://www.safecomputingtips.com/ ergonomic-checklist.html or other sites
for details.
6. Use technology where possible, i.e. voice key ing, ESM etc. Don't wear
yourself out.

Stay Focused
1. Set goals, have a plan.
2. Some people find knowing how others are doing is motivating
(getscores.org or serial numbers in SS or WPX). If allowed, watching packet
spots is also helpful.
3. Be part of a team or work at a multi-op to cheer each other on.

Stay Busy.
If you don't have enough to stay occupied even waxing the car sounds
better!.
1. SO2R is great as you can S&P while still CQing. SO2V is also practical
for single band contests or if you're not setup for SO2R. Watch TV (sports
seem popular) with the volume off or low.
2. Read something (newspaper, magazines are better than tech references). If
you surf the web, be aware of the shifting keyboard focus as the computer
CQs for you.
3. Be loud (or at least act like you're loud). Being a rare mult is also
good!

Learn From Every Contest
1. Make notes for each contest.
2. Read the comments from others.
3. If you can't operate the whole contest time period be sure to know when
the peak times are.