[SECC] HOW DO YOU BEAT BOREDOM IN A CONTEST?

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jun 5 06:45:57 PDT 2009

Ralph wrote:
> There was no time for boredom in last weekends WPX contest but here
> are some interesting ideas.  Mark, N2QT
> kindly agreed to share his article with us.
>
> HOW DO YOU BEAT BOREDOM IN A CONTEST?
>
> from Mark, N2QT
>
> I've been trying to figure out how to keep myself interested enough in
> holding a run frequency when the rate drops off. Best I can tell that's a
> key to a better score in a contest like the 160 SSB where run frequencies
> are valuable and the whole band is full of CQers who've you have already
> worked. .
>
> As we all know the BIC (Butt in Chair) factor is key to improving contest
> scores. In addition in many contests 'If you're not running you're losing'.
> Many of us struggle at times to put these into practice. Here is what I've
> learned, heard, or used to help me.
>
> Be Comfortable, or you'll start thinking about doing anything else.
> 1. Have a comfortable chair (Herman Miller Aerons are recommended but
> expensive)
> 2. Be warm/cool enough. Be sure to factor in the heat from linears.
> 3. If you use bifocals consider computer glasses to avoid stressing your
> neck
> 4. Noise can wear you down, use good headphones to reduce outside noise.
> DSP
> noise reduction can help, although it can hurt intelligibility. I find that
> I look forward to the quiet when transmitting so having TX MON off works
> for
> me.
> 5. Be sure your keyboard/mouse/rig seating is ergonomically correct. See
> http://www.safecomputingtips.com/ ergonomic-checklist.html or other sites
> for details.
> 6. Use technology where possible, i.e. voice key ing, ESM etc. Don't wear
> yourself out.
>
> Stay Focused
> 1. Set goals, have a plan.
> 2. Some people find knowing how others are doing is motivating
> (getscores.org or serial numbers in SS or WPX). If allowed, watching packet
> spots is also helpful.
> 3. Be part of a team or work at a multi-op to cheer each other on.
>
> Stay Busy.
> If you don't have enough to stay occupied even waxing the car sounds
> better!.
> 1. SO2R is great as you can S&P while still CQing. SO2V is also practical
> for single band contests or if you're not setup for SO2R. Watch TV (sports
> seem popular) with the volume off or low.
> 2. Read something (newspaper, magazines are better than tech
> references). If
> you surf the web, be aware of the shifting keyboard focus as the computer
> CQs for you.
> 3. Be loud (or at least act like you're loud). Being a rare mult is also
> good!
>
> Learn From Every Contest
> 1. Make notes for each contest.
> 2. Read the comments from others.
> [...]

I agree with almost everything in the article.  I recognize the problem
keeping the monitor on while doing SO2R.  I keep it on, but low, most of
the time.  The reason that I recommend keeping the monitor on is that
way you know if you hit the wrong key (or if you programmed the key
wrong).   Twice in major contests, I have worked a big station at the
start of the contest and heard his computer sending two different calls:
  one for the CQ and the other for the thank you message.  Obviously,
the operators (in one case OH2PM) were not listening to their monitors.
  If I hadn't called back and told them, no telling how long that would
have happened or which call the stations who worked them would have
logged.  For example, "TEST CU2X."  "TU CU2CJ."  Obviously, the CQ
message had been changed from the last time the program had been used,
but the op forgot to change the TU message.  Once set up and properly
monitored, this error won't likely occur later in the contest.  But, if
you hit the CQ message F1 instead of the exchange message F2, if your
monitor is turned off, you won't know it and you won't understand why
the other station does go ahead and give you his exchange.  Same problem
with hitting any other wrong key.  If the monitor is on, you will hear
your mistake and correct it.  If the monitor is off, you are necessarily
clueless.

Same thing happened on a Thursday night recently.  N4ZZ went through an
entire 30-minute NS Sprint Practice without listening to his monitor,
thus not knowing that the latest version of his logging program had
removed his ability to add a half space delay in his messages and
instead sent some gibbering instead of the delay, thus confusing most of
the people who worked him.  He found out only afterward when W4NZ and I
separately messaged him about the problem.

So, my solution is to keep the monitor on most of the time, even if down
low.  Obviously, it is more important when you are first starting out
each contest.

73,

John, K4BAI.