[SECC] Dwindling Net Participation - Your comments?

Mack McCormick w4ax.mack at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 19:09:19 PDT 2011

Mike,

I think you do a fantastic job. I've always found that nets last when they
serve a purpose. May I suggest that you have a topic each week and publish
that in advance. It could cover any aspect of contesting/DXing. Some thought
starters:
1. What is your strategy for spending the most time possible in the chair?
Sleep, food, drinks, breaks, etc.
2. When should you run and when should you S&P?
3. How do you get started in SO2R?
4. Strategies for improving and keeping a high Q rate.
5. What is the best way to use logging features like "enter send message"?
6. A discussion of antennas for people on a modest budget or with antenna
restrictions.
7. For the contest category winners; what is the best strategy if you want
to win a particular contest category?
8. What is the single most important tip you'd give to an intermediate level
contester to help them get to the next level?

I'm sure others on the list would have dozens of other topics but for me a
brief discussion by some or all net participants would be a very worthwhile
use of my time and encourage me to participate in the net. BTW, I didn't
participate tonight because I'm out of town on business.

Thanks again es 73,

Mack de W4AX

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 9:39 PM, Michael Almeter <w4mja at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>    The South East Contest Club's net has been meeting now for about a
> month. For the first two weeks of the net, we had a great turnout and active
> participation. But as of lately, it seems participation has fallen, and
> tonight we only had 6 members check in.
>     I'd be interested in hearing any improvement ideas that anyone may
> have. I don't want to be stuck in my ways, running the the net, "my way or
> the highway". If anyone has any suggestions on how I could improve, or
> anything that might make people more inclined to check in, please don't
> hesitate to suggest them.
>     I've called nets before that were similar to pulling teeth to check
> in... "Well, I try to make the net, but I'd rather be watching roller derby
> on the WB". I want everyone to have a good time, and enjoy this. How can I
> make this better?
>
> 73,
> Mike
> W4MJA