[SECC] improving 160 results

Tommy Alderman aldermant at windstream.net
Wed Feb 2 13:39:17 PST 2011

Interesting! I am in full agreement with your observation about analog
equipment.

Recently I posted, in response to Jeff's question about rig's, that I had
removed my K3 from my operating position because it was too 'noisy'. I think
either a minute before or maybe a minute after, I read your post about how
good you think the K3 receiver is. Which made me go back and re-check my K3
setup and in fact by reconfiguring the K3, it was now very quiet although I
still have a horrible audio pop on key-up when using my Alpha 8410 at full
power. So my K3 has again replaced my IC-7700, but unfortunately I am still
not completely happy with either radio. Regardless of the Sherwood and the
ARRL Lab test lab measurements about various radios, I don't believe the
full effectiveness of a ham's radio can be determined ONLY by test
measurements? I would have to say that operator-perception has a lot to do
with it?

I know that for years you have basically used your much modified Drake
radios as a basic 'standard' for your own use at your station. My situation
is somewhat similar but of course on a much lesser scale, in that "my"
standard radio is a Ten Tec Omni 6 Plus with the Inrad 600 hz roofing
filter. I try my best to NOT become a ham radio manufacturer 'cult member',
rather select and use a radio that seems to work for me, a la, your modified
Drake receiver. Up until the production of Ten Tec's (awful, meaning
firmware support) Orion radio, there was something intangible about Ten
Tec's analog radio AGC design in that, to me, their AGC designs handled
atmospheric noise crashes (lightning, etc.) in what I considered to be
excellent fashion and their full QSK designs really did work.

Even with both my IC-7700 and my K3 now working very good, there still seems
to be 'something' missing from both of those radios. In fact I intend to
soon put my Omni 6 Plus back on the desk and get a current comparison
between the three radios, especially for contesting. It will be very
interesting to hear what you learn if you re-try one of your older analog
radios!

73,
Tom - W4BQF