[SECC] improving 160 results

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Wed Feb 2 14:40:41 PST 2011

> setup and in fact by reconfiguring the K3, it was now very quiet although
> still have a horrible audio pop on key-up when using my Alpha 8410 at full
> power. So my K3 has again replaced my IC-7700, but unfortunately I am
> still
> not completely happy with either radio. Regardless of the Sherwood and the
> ARRL Lab test lab measurements about various radios, I don't believe the
> full effectiveness of a ham's radio can be determined ONLY by test
> measurements? I would have to say that operator-perception has a lot to do
> with it?

I'm not positive my K3 is worse than my heavily modified R4C's, it is a
really tough call. The only way I would know for sure is to do a blind test
on a weak signal.

With the Orion I, the difference was very evident.

My overall gut feeling is that DSP systems are not as smooth sounding when
signals are below noise floor.

The problem is every dB matters when a signal is below noise floor.

> Even with both my IC-7700 and my K3 now working very good, there still
> seems
> to be 'something' missing from both of those radios. In fact I intend to
> soon put my Omni 6 Plus back on the desk and get a current comparison
> between the three radios, especially for contesting. It will be very
> interesting to hear what you learn if you re-try one of your older analog
> radios!

I'm going to have to do that. The problem I have is I need stereo diversity
and no one except Elecraft does it close to right. Stereo diversity requires
all oscillators be phase locked, and all signal paths identical in group
delay and all other characteristics. I'm not aware of anyone having two
receivers that are identical and phase locked other than my homebrew setup
or the K3.

Of course I've been sitting here listening to dozens of Europeans on 160 for
the last hour (starting at 4:30 PM local) after the contest is over, and
everything seems to be working fine. :-)

73 Tom