[SECC] Testing The Internal Tuner in your Radio

Jeffrey Clarke ku8e at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 25 19:46:04 PST 2011

Hi All,

I sold a radio to this guy (my IC756PRO) and the day it's delivered to him
he calls and tells me the internal antenna tuner in the radio is not working
right. He was unwilling to have someone look at it at his own cost (he
wanted me to pay for that) so I told him to send the radio back to me and I
refunded his money.

I got the radio back tonight an hooked it up.  I have 160 , 40 and 20 meter
antennas that are cut for the CW bands. The SWR is higher in the phone parts
of the band.  The internal tuner worked just fine when I turned it on the
tune out the slight mismatches in the higher parts of those bands.  I also
hooked up my 135 foot zepp with 450 ohm feeder line to a DX Engineering 4:1
balun and went directly to the radio on the 50 ohm side of the balun. I was
able to get the antenna to tune across the whole 80 meter band.  I wasn't
able to get it to tune with that setup on 20 meters. I would imagine the
impedance is more complex using that antenna on 20 meters and up.

I'm trying to determine if I really have a problem with the internal tuner.
This guy supposedly hooked the radio directly to a dummy load to test the
internal tuner. Is this really a good test ?

Thanks, Jeff  KU8E