[SECC] Testing The Internal Tuner in your Radio

Jim Worthington jimworth at me.com
Wed Jan 26 05:36:00 PST 2011

The results of your tests are normal for an internal tuner. I would try a 50 ohm dummy load to see if you can reproduce the problem your buyer had. The tuner should be able to match 50 ohms on all bands in addition to the 3:1 loads  that Jerry suggested.

The range of internal tuners varies considerably by manufacturer, so the buyer may have had unrealistic expectations based on his experience with another rig. My TS-870S would match a wider range than my FT-1000MP Mark V. The Elecraft K2 and K3 tuners have a much wider range (10:1 SWR or more).

Jim AD4J