[SECC] Need help with antenna launchers

Larry K4AB k4ab at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 6 15:37:19 PDT 2011

Dave,

Here is an old email from N4BCD that I saved.

Maybe it'll help.

73,
Larry K4AB

Mark Brown to Tom, me

 I just spent another few hours today helping K8KI get his trap dipole into his trees.  All went well except for the bees we stirred up.  With the method below you can easily clear a 100' broadleaf.  Evergreens are somewhat trickier due to the sticky sap.

Here's what works for me...
Crossbow or regular bow - doesn't matter.  Whatever you're good with.

Line1 for really high shots = Spiderwire XXX monofilament 12lb test.
Line2 for shots less than 80'  = Stren 17lb (this one is fluorescent)
Other's will probably work, but I literally threw a reel of Berkley Trilene in the trash after several consecutive line breaks.

Prepare a 1.5 inch piece of electrical tape.

Lay your fishing line on the arrow between the nock & fletching so that about 4 or 5" of line is pointing towards your arrow tip.  Use your tape to go around the arrow just behind the fletching.  Now tie your monofilament into a knot over the tape.  I usually trim any excess monofilament about 1" from the knot.  This method I've described here works really well for me - the tape might be acting a bit like a shock absorber to the line.

Now you're ready to take the shot.  I shoot a bow right-handed so I lay the reel of line in front of my left (forward) foot. - making sure there's no tangles with arms, or bow limbs.  Also make sure you don't have a lot of slack or kinks in the line before the arrow leaves.  The shock of that line going taut can snap it.  Sometimes I get some nice line burns on my left forearm but it's a small price to pay for the height you get.

Depending on several factors - strength of the bow, angle of the shot, weight of the arrow, and wind to name a few, you'll probably want to arrest or brake line as soon as it clears your tree notch.  Be careful here.  A gentle hand that slows the arrow is better than a sharp jerk that could turn the arrow sideways from it's downward path resulting in a stuck arrow.

You've heard the saying "an apple doesn't fall far from the tree".  Same is eventually true with arrows.  I've had two stuck arrows fall back to earth a few months later when the monofilament deteriorates or breaks.

A little more about line.  While I like the Spiderwire for shots, it's a little weak for tugging Dacron rope through tough spots.  It's a major disappointment when the line breaks after you're made that great shot and you're rope is halfway up and back down.  To mitigate that I've taken to using the 17lb Stren as an intermediate between the light line & rope.  It's more pulling and winding but it's more of a sure bet.

I'll mention this too: NEVER UNDERESTIMATE HOW FAR AN ARROW WILL TRAVEL IF THE LINE BREAKS.  One of my arrows came down in the flowerbed of a house 3 doors down.

All told, lost target arrows plus lots of reels of line (line does wear out - you'll begin to feel rough spots from abrasion with trees) the price does add up.  Compared to the price of a tower though, it almost free.

73 and good luck,
 Mark