[SECC] CAC and changes to the ARRL DX Contest

Mark Luhrman w4svo at att.net
Mon Jun 20 12:56:58 PDT 2011

Hi all, There has been a lot of talk about this subject. Everybody has their own
ideas on this subject. I have read that entering contests are not about winning.
Tell that to the guys that have spent a lot of money on antennas, equip, etc.
Plus setting up stations on islands, what not. In sports, teams want to win a
championship. Contests are about winning, period. There are some that do
participate in DX Contests, so that they can work new band countries, etc. Why,
because this is when a lot of DX comes on the bands at the same time. Then there
are those that say leave it alone. Most of these are the NE Stations. There are
some that say doing a point system by distance would be more fair. I tend to be
more on this side. What are the best ways to make this a better contest, I have
my own opinions. The bottom line though is that the FCG and other contest groups
should voice their ideas to the CAC. This is the way things get changed, laws,
politics, etc. What bothers me the most not many of us actually want to take on
change. This is in my opinion why America is falling behind, too much
complacency. Very few people will actually go against the grain, and the ones
that do are very few. Mark W4SVO