[SECC] N1MM Enter Send Message

Jeremy - N4JIK n4jik1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 05:50:22 PDT 2011

Mack,

Great find, I know a number of SECC members have started using the N1MM
software over the last couple of months so I have attached to files that I
found really useful to keep around the shack. Both of these have the
keyboard shortcuts broken down for you in an easy to understand fashion. But
I will highlight a few that I have found to be most useful over the years
now.

ALT-F10 - VFO Swap - this one paid dividends for the recent RTTY Sprint and
will help anyone during any Sprint - All you have to do is set your VFO's up
at the appropriate split and then just jump between the two saves time from
having to manually tune each time.

ALT+CTRL+UP/DOWN Arrow - This one is much like the CTRL Up and Down arrow
moving to the next QSO on your band map but this one goes only to the next
Multi for you! You can run through your multi's really quick then hit ALT-Q
to bring yourself back to your CQ Run Frequency! ;)

Another GREAT one that works like a champ on my FT-950 is the ALT-'  which
turns the radio over from Wide to Narrow Filtering - keeps my hands on the
keyboard and away from the radio always a plus.

CTRL + P = Send a Spot to the DX Network with a Comment - This one goes
without saying, I try to make a bad habit out of spotting my own when it
comes to SECC members.

RTTY/PSK modes - Start using the ALT+G to grab the callsign from the DI
(Digital Interface) instead of typing it, makes life so much easier and
faster. Plus if you are running a freq you can use this in conjunction with
the {LOGTHENPOP} command as in this example you have completed a QSO with
AB4CD and you also decoded N4XYZ you can use the macro as such, TU ! NOW,
{LOGTHENPOP} {EXCH} {EXCH} * , which would verbose send "TU AB4CD, NOW N4XYZ
5NN 002 5NN 002 N4JIK. This has made life much smoother for me since I can
run a whole lot faster this way and it saves you from having to do another
CQ or QRZ since you have already downloaded

Something else that is pretty high speed is N1MM can send CAT commands to
your radio so if you are one of the lucky ones like myself who has a built
in DVK on your radio you get N1MM to send your DVK messages from your radio
- anyone interested in this one please get with me with your radio and I
will help you out on setting this one up.

Another great feature that I recently learned about was the {VARYMSG} Macro,
used as such {VARYMSG1&CQ CQ CQ TEST * *&CQ NA * *&3&} This will send every
third time the CQ NA N4JIK N4JIK . This is also helpful within your thank
you message to keep it lively as such, {VARYMSG2&TU *&TU ! DE * QRZ?&3&}
This will send TU N4JIK every time but on the 3rd time it will send 'TU
AB4CD de N4JIK QRZ?' which is makes sure that my call gets out there every
3rd QSO for anyone who happens to find my Run and wants to jump into the
action ;)

One other great feature I have found is that I end up with a TON of broken
calls because people get my callsign wrong as can be almost with out doubt -
which is why I hope to be W1BO very shortly and take it back to my N1 roots
but what I do is I have set up my call as "N4>J~I~K< in a Macro which sends
the N4 at the speed of choice then the J I K is send 2WPM slower and a half
space character between them this has helped me see a massive decrease in
logging errors.

Well that is just a few things that I could think of and thought I would
share with the group if anyone has any more great ideas with N1MM that I
haven't brought up throw them out for the group - who knows I may learn
something new with this software that I hadn't known previously. ;) And
anyone who doesn't use N1MM and wants some help with it please feel free to
send me an email directly and I will be more than happy to help get you
started with it!

73s and GD contesting!

Jeremy

N4JIK