[SECC] November Newsletter

Jim Roberts ve7zo at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 13 15:30:22 PST 2011

 See attached .pdf for complete newsletter:

Monthly Activity Newsletter – November 2011
Jim Roberts VE7ZO

It was terrific to see the SECC activity in the CQ WW SSB and the SS CW this past weekend.  Many personal bests and just good fun!  Next up will be the SS Phone and CQ WW CW with conditions expected to improve even further.  (See solar activity below)

The W4 CQ WW Records are attached for your reference.  With a few exceptions, the records have dates around the last solar cycle peak, so with today’s better equipment plus skimmer, many of these records are ripe for the picking.   Some QRP categories have no previous entrants so with a little effort, they could populated by the SECC in 2011.

CQ WW SSB - 3830 Reports:
40 entries submitted to date!  Don’t forget to send in your scores with club affiliation.

ARRL SS CW – Logs Received:
So far logs received from AA4GA, AE4O, AE4Y, K1ZZI, K4BAI, KN4QD, N4DU, N4PN

2010 CQ WW CW Results:
Big score from N4PN on 40M led the US with 1934/38/140 – Congrats to Paul who now holds the US 40M records on both SSB and CW!  Paul also had an outstanding effort during this year’s CQ WW SSB test with a 15SB entry on 1,032,120 with 1986/40/148.  This is ahead of Lee’s AA4GA previous W4 record set in 1999 and K2SS/1’s US record set in 2000.

Station Activities:

K2SX:  Dennis will be active as V31AO in the CQ WW CW.

WW4LL:  Fred just finished hosting John K4BAI for the CW SS and now gearing up for a multi effort in the Phone SS.   Fred will be at the SEDXC meeting on November 17th talking about contest station set-ups.  I hope to see you there.  http://www.sedxc.org/

K4BAI/KU8E:  John and Jeff will once again be signing PJ4A during the upcoming CQ WW CW test.

NQ4I:  Rick and company made a big splash in the CQ WW SSB with 16.5M and raised the overall W4 M/M record with individual station QSO records on 10M and 40M.  Rick has his sights on the CW 13.9M W4 record now held by K7GM/4.   SECC  members Mark W4SVO, Jim VE7ZO, John W4IX, Dean W8ZF, Rick K4TD , Ann WA1S, Jeff W4DD, and Rick NQ4I will be QRV.

W8JI:  A new set of phased beverages at Tom’s will improve the already outstanding low band receiving capabilities at the station.  Expect to hear a multi effort from W8JI during the upcoming ARRL 160 test.

K1ZZI:  Ralph plans to be active in both the CQ WW CW test and SS Phone to help contribute towards the SS gavel competition.  Good results from the CQ WW SSB for Ralph as he made 3.8 million assisted just working S&P.

N4GG:  As expected, look for Hal to be active in both upcoming biggies.

Other News:

WRTC 2014:  John, K4BAI is still seeking commitments for sponsoring one of the 50+  operating tents during the WRTC 2014.  Cost is $1,000 and we have already had preliminary contributors pledging over half that amount; a great way to help the organizers and raise the SECC visibility.   Let John know if you are interested in helping us sponsor this worthy event.    http://wrt2014.org/sponsors/station-sponsors/

W4MJA:   The newsletter from NCDXF has a nice picture of W4MJA with some biographical information in regards to Mike winning the NCDXF scholarship.  Congratulations Mike!

Mike also asked to remind SECC members to send our webmaster, W4GKF pictures of their stations. There is a nice section of the website dedicated to shack photos.

Please drop me a note if you have any event/activity that you would like to share with the club.  My contact information is ve7zo at hotmail.com or I’m also available at 608-346-2193.

vy 73,
Jim VE7ZO
President SECC