[SECC] Contest Logging

Dennis McAlpine dbmcalpine at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 19 11:55:47 PDT 2011

Dave,

It sounds like you are really looking for a logging program and then for a
contesting program.  There is a world of difference between these two
things.  A logging program is generally poor for contesting and a contest
program does not have most of the features of a logging program.

I have been using DXLab for logging and it is wonderful.  More importantly,
the support is excellent as the creator is on-line 28 hours a day ready to
answer any questions.  You can make it as simple or as complicated as you
want by adding modules.  I currently have all of them installed except the
RTTY program and combined they are awesome.  As is the case with n1mm, they
are free.

When it comes to contesting, I have used n1mm for a number of years and it
is also excellent and also, as you know, free.  Again the support is
excellent.  It too is easy to set-up and a little patience and reading is
the main requirement to getting going.

You will be amazed at how much difference using an interface makes.  It
means not putting in the wrong band.  It also allows you to use bandmapping
which is a great help in seeing what is on the bands.  It does take a little
time to set it up but you can do it.  I did and I am definitely not a
techie.

As a start, I suggest you read the manuals for both, which are on-line, and
look at the various features.

Have fun and GL.

73,

Dennis, K2SX