[SECC] Announcement: NJ QRP Club Skeeter Hunt Sprint, Sunday Afternoon

John Laney k4bai at att.net
Fri Aug 10 10:26:34 PDT 2012

Here is one that I missed in my weekly report this week.

  Official NJQRP Skeeter Hunt Webpage

-

Welcome to the official Webpage for the NJQRP Skeeter Hunt.

The NJQRP Club is announcing a new summertime operating event - "The
Skeeter Hunt".  The objective is to get QRPers out of their shacks for
the day; and into the fresh air and sunshine, to spread their wings and
fill the airwaves with "Skeeters".  While commercial equipment can
certainly utilized, bonus points will be awarded for those who
personally home brewed their own or kit built their own equipment
(equipment not built by the operator would not count as either home
brewed or kit built - it would be considered commercial equipment).  The
inaugural event is to be held on Sunday August 12th.  It will be a four
hour sprint - from 17:00 UTC to 21:00 UTC (1:00 TO 5:00 PM EDT).

The theme for this year is "My favorite outdoor place".  You are
encouraged to operate from your favorite outdoor place and tell us about
it in your Soapbox comments.

Stations who wish to be designated as "Skeeters" can get a Skeeter
number by requesting one by sending an e-mail to w2lj at arrl.net  Skeeter
numbers would be issued from May through the day before the event.

Station Classes and Multipliers
X1 Home stations - commercial equipment
X2 Home stations - home brewed or kit built equipment
X3 Portable station - commercial equipment
X4 Portable station - home brewed or kit built equipment

Portable stations cannot use permanent antennas, i.e you can't work from
your backyard, hook up to your dipole or tower and yagi and be
considered a portable station. Also, portable stations cannot be
connected to the local power grid - alternative energy sources must be
used - solar, battery, wind, etc.

Multi-Op Stations: - Great idea!  Want to get together with some of your
best buds to have a barbeque and hunt some Skeeters?  FB deal, OM!  When
you send in your log, send the calls of everyone who participated under
that call and or Skeeter number.  And remember to send pictures of your
group for the soapbox!

Suggested Call - Either CQ QRP or CQ Buzz

Exchange -
Skeeter Stations - RST, S/P/C, Skeeter number
Non-Skeeter Stations - RST, S/P/C, Output power

Mode - CW
Power - 5W max

Scoring -
Working a Skeeter Station - 2 points
Working a non-Skeeter Station - 1 point

Total score equals the number of QSO points times the number of S/P/Cs
worked on all bands (stations can be worked on multiple bands for QSO
points and S/P/C credit) times the multiplier for station class.

Bonus points - design and home brew a key or paddle specifically for the
event and earn an extra 1000 points.

Suggested frequencies:
The QRP "Watering Holes"
80 Meters ~ 3.560 MHz
40 Meters ~ 7.040 and 7.030 MHz - also consider using from 7.114 to
7.122 MHz for a "slower" speed CW area.  We want to have everyone involved!
20 Meters ~ 14.060 MHz
15 Meters ~ 21.060 MHz
10 Meters ~ 28.060 MHz

These are suggested starting points, of course. Feel free to spread out
and give your "Skeeter" wings a chance to do their thing.

Logs, photos and soapbox comments can be sent to w2lj at arrl.net no later
than 30 days after the event.  Certificates will be issued to the top
scorers of each category as well as others to be determined.

Hope to hear and work all of you during this new event. Special thanks
to the NJQRP club for their sponsorship!

To see the roster of assigned 2012 Skeeter numbers, click here.

Here are the answers to a few questions asked so far:

Question - "I have a question that you or someone else may have the
answer to. At one time, several years ago wasn't there a transmitter
project that was called a 'MOSquito'? It possibly was a transceiver. If
I recall it was in one of the magazines, CQ, 73, or Ham Radio."

Answer - I think you're thinking of the Miss Mosquita - The DL QRP
Project still has that kit available:
http://www.qrpproject.de/UK/missmosquita.htm

Question - "Do I have to be a resident of NJ to get a NJQRP number?"

Answer - I'm assuming you mean a Skeeter number. Certainly not!  Anyone
worldwide, who desires a Skeeter number can have one.  And as far as I
know, NJQRP numbers are still given out when you join NJQRP - anyone can
join that fine organization, also.  For the record, W2LJ's NJQRP number
is 47.

Question - "Any thought about multiop or multi multi stations? A couple
of us are thinking of a cookout and contest afternoon."

Answer - No, I hadn't, but it sounds like a cool idea to me!  Want to
get a group together and have a cookout and get some radio in?  Sure!
All I ask is when you submit your log, to list the operators who
participated.   Of course, this will be considered a separate operating
class - but no problem with that.  I will make note of it when I update
the rules.

Question - "You'll probably need to add some clarification on the "Kit"
points. Some of the other "homebrew" contests are not counting modular
kits like the K3 and KX3 as homebrew anymore, does this contest?"

Answer - This might rankle a few purists. But as far as I am concerned,
for the Skeeter Hunt, here's the definition of "kit built". The
operator's hands were involved in more than 50% of the building of the
kit. Solder need not necessarily be involved. If you built a K3 or KX3
with your own hands, it counts. If you finished a kit (half of it or
more, I will let the entrant judge that for himself) that someone else
started, it counts. If you're using a PFR3A or a KX1 or whatever and you
didn't build it yourself? Consider it commercial equipment. The idea
here is to have fun and not get too trapped in the details. The honor
system will rule - there will be no checking.  If anyone homebrews a key
or paddle for the Skeeter hunt, please send a photo with your entry!

Question - "I am assuming it is ok for skeeters to operate in the field
for the event?"

Answer - That's the whole idea!  Get out with your gear, get on the air
and then share your tale of adventure with the rest of us!