[SECC] KB4KBS: ARRL 160 M/S LP

Scott Straw scottstraw at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 2 15:13:30 EST 2012

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: KB4KBS
Operator(s): KB4KBS
Station: KB4KBS

Class: M/S LP
QTH: GEORGIA
Operating Time (hrs): 1.5

Total:  QSOs = 30  Sections = 23  Countries = 1  Total Score = 1,449

Got on for a few minutes and did some S&P using the cluster.  My objective was to pop on the station, listen and try to copy his info in my head, then work him with my paddles once I was reasonably sure I knew what he was sending.  My sending skills need some help - I found I got better over time, and after some tweaks to the keyer and paddles.  My head can send faster than my fingers, which is sometimes faster than the keyer, and at other times slower. Gotta figure out how to get everything marching to the same metronome...

Solo antenna was a stock G5RV.  Radio was able to tune it up with less than 1.5:1, but I imagine the ERP was somewhat well below the 50W power level I mistakenly left it at. Props to the stations in ONS, ONN, MI, WI, MN, etc. who heard me.

73,

Scott

Scott Straw, KB4KBS
Roswell, Georgia USA