[SECC] KB4KBS: ARRL 160 M/S LP

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Mon Dec 31 09:57:16 EST 2012

On Dec 2, 2012, at 3:13 PM, Scott Straw <scottstraw at mindspring.com> wrote:

>                   ARRL 160-Meter Contest
> Comments:
>
> Got on for a few minutes and did some S&P using the cluster.  My objective was to pop on the station, listen and try to copy his info in my head, then work him with my paddles once I was reasonably sure I knew what he was sending.  My sending skills need some help - I found I got better over time, and after some tweaks to the keyer and paddles.  My head can send faster than my fingers, which is sometimes faster than the keyer, and at other times slower. Gotta figure out how to get everything marching to the same metronome…

Two recommendations:

- Don't use the cluster. Tune around and listen. It will improve your CW receiving skills a lot. Don't worry if you find someone going too fast, tune to the next guy. Find someone, break down what he is sending and call him when you feel you have everything. This will greatly improve your ability to copy in your head, at least a few characters. Your rate won't be great, but don't worry about that. It will improve with practice.

- Find a spot to CQ -- go at your own speed, and don't worry if someone comes back and you only get a letter or two. Keep asking for repeats until you get it all. Perhaps a bit annoying, but you will get better with all the paddle practice.

The more time you spend in the chair sending and receiving CW, the better you will get.

When you get to the point where you can receive over 20 wpm, you might want to consider using computer keying. I can copy 28-30 wpm (at least for contest exchanges), but I can only send about 22-24 wpm using paddles.

Have fun.

When you get to the point
Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at mac.com
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
         -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
           -- Wilbur Wright, 1901