[SECC] question on email - spamarrest

Tad Williamson tadwf4w at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 09:13:03 EDT 2013

I, too, am in agreement with Lee, Hal and the others that have replied.  I
have been the email administrator at my current (and previous) jobs.  The
commercial anti-spam gateways I have used are amazing (Barracuda being
one).  On the personal side, I have a pair of "junk" email accounts that I
use for anything that requires an email address to sign up.  I use those
accounts to sign up and then pretty much ignore the junk that comes from
that vendor.  Periodically, I go in and clean those accounts out.  I have
used 3 or 4 of the free email services out there and have found that
Gmail is the best (for me...your mileage may vary) at reducing spam.  I
honestly can't remember the last time I got any spam in my inbox and very
rarely do I see anything in my spam folder.   I have only had to allow one
or two addresses in the last 3 years since I started using Gmail.
I do have a rule set up that deletes emails from users that I think send
irrelevant emails.......Gmail doesn't consider them spam, but I do.

73, Tad, WF4W
On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Hal Kennedy <halken at comcast.net> wrote:

> I could not agree with Lee  more.  I get a lot of antenna questions.
> Typing out a thoughtful answer only to have it bounce back since the person
> who asked for help wont accept my reply is beyond irritating.
>
> I don't protect my email address at all, have had the same address for
> over 10 years and get very little spam.  I'm not completely sure why.   I
> think Comcast blocks a lot of it, and my current email client -
> Thunderbird - catches more...
> 73
> Hal N4GG
>

> n 4/23/2013 7:11 AM, Lee Hiers wrote:
>
> Another problem with Spamarrest and similar "services" is that some of us
> refuse to deal with the BS.  Oftentimes I will respond with an answer to a
> question to help a poster in a group and am greeted by a confirmation email
> from such a "service". At that point, the domain (often Spamarrest) gets
> reported for spam to Gmail. I'm not going through extra steps when I'm
> already going out of my way to help someone.
>
> I'm sure there are others who feel the same as I do about this.  I can't
> tell you how many times I've had people opt-in to a mailing list and at the
> next distribution I receive a BS confirmation email.  Those folks get
> immediately unsubscribed.
>
> So, use one of those "services" if you wish, but realize it isn't perfect.
>
> I don't do anything in particular to control/hide my email address, other
> than to use different email addresses for different situations.  At least I
> can often tell who is selling my email address. The other thing I do is
> make regular reports to the FTC of emails I have received in violation of
> the CanSpam act....I doubt it does any good, other than give me a warm
> fuzzy feeling.  In any event, I find the amount of spam I receive to be
> quite manageable.
>
> 73 de Lee, AA4GA

"What a long, strange trip it's been"

The Grateful Dead