[SECC] To "Test", or not to "Test"

Kevan Nason knason00 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 12:02:08 EDT 2016

Thanks for comments about CQ'ing Bill.

Don't know if you remember or not, but we've met at Rick's, NQ4I. Used to
work with VE7ZO and used to be the 40 mult op. I respect your opinions and
have used some of your comments when talking to other clubs about
contesting. We might differ here though.

I actually dislike a non-standard format when listening to a station CQ. I
want to know what to expect and time my call at the end of theirs. I know
for a fact that is critical when interleaving q's and it also seems it
would be very important for doing efficient SO2R. Harder to do either if
some jerk like me is changing our CQ format every now and then.

You suggest if I just did CQ TEST (as I have been doing in other contests
for years) there would have been even more replies. Maybe there would have
been, maybe not. I changed back and forth a couple times in the contest. I
didn't keep any data, but rate seemed to go up slightly each time using the
combined CQ as compared to the single CQ format. Noticing that is why I
wrote the earlier email. Maybe that was just a blip on the statistical
curve since
a) I've only done it once now
b) People really wanted the "J" in WJ4X to be a "One" and they liked to
hear it twice in a row to check they heard the call correctly        --or--
c) maybe it is only applicable to the WPX with its numerous newbie
contesters
But I was seeing a slightly increased rate when using both CQ formats.

So...
Assumption: A Little Pistol station will get a slightly increased rate by
using a mixed CQ format.
Question: Should a Little Pistol station keep using a traditional CQ format
just because it helps others or should they choose a format which will give
them more points?

I know my answer.

But because I agree with your position too I had three CQ's with the
"normal" method before changing it up with only one in the other format.
Then immediately back to the normal format. again. I hoped that wouldn't
mess with experienced contesters' minds too much while at the same time let
me every now and then do what less strong CW ops appeared to like. Kind of
like choosing how often to identify in a pile up.

ID in a pile up? That thought makes me wonder if the same N1MM coding
format that lets you get alternating CQ's couldn't also be used to change
the TU N4XL end of q acknowledgement message to just TU and only add N4XL
every third or fourth time? Not critical to my station, but some of you do
well enough that you might want to check that out.

Kevan
N4XL