[SECC] CQ160 CW AA4LR Single Op LP

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Tue Jan 31 06:59:03 EST 2017

CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 3.5

Total:  QSOs = 151  State/Prov = 41  Countries = 8  Total Score = 18,865

Antennas:
Shunt-fed 15m tower with tribander and 29 radials

Equipment:
Elecraft K3/100 w/ KAT100 running 100 watts

Comments:

This was a part-time effort and all S & P. I still have not solved the computer keying problem I noticed back during ARRL 160m -- using the shunt-fed tower on 160m (and sometimes 80m) causes the computer to key with erratic timing. So, I used the Elecraft K3 memory keyer to send my call and report.

I just had a few hours Friday night, and a little more than an hour before sunrise Saturday morning. Conditions seemed good from my short exposure. It was easy going working my way up the band. I enjoyed handing out Qs.

Had a little bit of trouble with K5TA. I called him, and he had trouble copying my call. When he sent his exchange, there was QRM and I missed it. So I send ST? and he replies with ST ST? So, again I replied with ST? ST? and he sends ST? So I respond with QTH? and he sends ST? Eventually he got frustrated and moved on to the next caller. I stayed for several minutes calling him and he either could not hear me or was ignoring me.

I finally worked him Saturday morning and got the needed NM multiplier. He definitely could not hear me well. But we could have made the first contact if he had just sent AA4LR 599 NM again.

Had a pretty good time. Wish I could put in a more serious effort -- but not enough time right now.

I really need to solve this keying problem. I might have made more contacts if I could call CQ.

Begin forwarded message: