[SECC] K4BAI Claimed Score, 2018 CQ WW 160M Contest, CW

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Mon Jan 29 13:20:21 EST 2018

> On Jan 29, 2018, at 11:23 AM, John Laney <k4bai at att.net> wrote:

> On the first night, Microsoft took over my
> logging computer for 1 1/2 hours to update Windows 10.  Nothing I tried would
> stop it, including turning off the computer and unplugging power.  It just
> started up again as soon as the computer restarted.  I had to log times, calls,
> and sections on paper for that period of time, 145 QSOs.  As soon as MS was
> finished, I typed those calls into N1MM so I would have them for dup checking
> and multipliers, but the dates and times were all wrong.  It took me 45 minutes
> after the contest was over to edit the Cabrillo file to make the dates/times
> right again.

I fight this problem by trying to force all updates the day before a contest.

This is the one thing I really hate about Windows. On the Mac, you have complete control over exactly when you update.

Microsoft has done this because otherwise most users never bother to update for any reason. It’s not user-friendly.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901