[SECC] Multi-Multi remote software?

Jeff Clarke ku8e at ku8e.com
Sun Jul 8 23:36:24 EDT 2018

Jim,

I operated the CQ WPX CW contest as a multi-op with the W9SN group.
Steve, W9SN, has his station setup to operate remotely. WW4LL, AA4CF,
K1ZZI, W9RNY and myself logged in remotely and operated from home. He
has Flex Radio's at his station in TN. We used some software provided by
Flex Radio called SmartSDR that allowed us to control the radios
remotely. He has Green Heron rotators/antenna switches and we used their
software called GH Everywhere to rotate and switch antennas. He had a
computer at home running N1MM Logger Plus and we used some VPN software
so we would all see the log. Much like networking your computer from
home but over the internet. That software was Open VPN GUI. Not sure if
Fred, WW4LL is still on the SECC reflector but if he is he could
probably tell you if I'm missing anything.

Another way people are operating remotely is using the Elecraft K2 and
K3's is using the Remote Rig boxes.
http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=465  I think these will work with
other radios as well but not 100% sure. You would still need the VPN
software to login remotely to to the computer running your logging software.

I think what you are thinking of doing isn't allowed in any contest.
Usually a call sign can only be used at one physical location. But you
might try what I suggested above if you have a group of people who want
to operate together but not  have to travel to one physical location to
do this.

Hope this helps...

Jeff KU8E

On 7/8/2018 05:39 PM, Jim Stafford wrote:
> I'm pretty sure such an entry would not fit within any current scoring
> for a contest
> but I'm in it for the FUN aspect.
>
> Is there a contest logging software that will allow multiple home
> stations to operate as a team on various modes/bands, all using the
> same callsign.  Think of this as FD logging but not all the stations
> are networked *at the same site*.  And we'd need to see who is on what
> band and use another band with full dupe checking.  In other words,
> the networking is via the internet.
>
> It's probably right in front of me but I haven't seen it.
>
> A few of my friends and I would like to work the IARU contest this
> weekend but from our home stations.
> Jim/W4QO

*Jeff Clarke*
Information Technology Professional