[SECC] Every Q counts

Kevan Nason knason00 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 10:13:23 EST 2020

Preparing a presentation for next week and decided to include this thought.

Scores start out slow in a contest. After ten q's you might only have a
thousand points. The next q, number 11, is worth 100 points. Ho-hum. But
everyone gets excited at the end of a long contest when they enter q number
654 and they see the score jump 1,100 points. It's easy to maintain the
excitement then.

Consider this. If you missed any q at all anywhere in that long list of 654
q's you would have ended with only 653 contacts. What that means is pulling
any of those 654 q's from your log would cost you 1,100 points at the end
of the contest. Doesn't matter if it is q 1, or 58, or 387. Every q is
worth the same point value as the last one you make in the contest.

After I realized that it became easier to keep my Butt In Chair during the
beginning hours.

Kevan N4XL