[SECC] Club Competition

RJ Hubbard rj.wf4w at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 08:25:57 EST 2020

" My point is people are hungry for the basics and us experienced folk
ain't givin' em what they want" -- I think this is a great point, from my
perspective as a greenhorn contester. I've played in several contest since
I became active again in 2017 - I'm not a big gun and I can never commit to
an entire contest period due to various kids sports, family time, etc.
However, I do like to contribute - but what I dont know is how BEST to
contribute. I try to remember to file my scores under SECC but I don't
necessarily know why I'm doing it. Aside from the contest at large, I guess
I dont know what contests have club competitions so not sure when it's
IMPORTANT to ensure I am submitting under SECC.

You know what else might be cool for newer contesters - some internal club
competition. Give us something to work towards - I'm never going to win a
contest when I can only commit to 8 hours over the course of a 30 hours
contest period. Perhaps there is something I can "win" within the club? For
example, during the GAQP, I help NFARL with their 1x1 calls and I've "won"
certificates within the club like "most CW contacts" or something like
that.

So to kevan's point, maybe it's time to get back to basics - tells us newer
members & contesters why it's important, what our goal is, and then help us
figure out how to improve  our scores - If i can only operate 8 hours, help
me maximize that time (for example, I REALLY need to set up & learn how to
operate SO2R)

Please dont take this as criticism AT ALL - I'm only trying to contribute
to the discussion and provide a "newbie" persepctive

73 de RJ, WF4W