[SECC] Club Competition

John Laney k4bai at att.net
Wed Nov 11 10:08:39 EST 2020

We do need some new blood for officers.  I have no desire to be
president for life.  So, we need some volunteers.  Officers are
President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer.  We collect no dues,
but have the treasurer so we have more officers to obtain signatures
from on a few things such as changes to the W4AN club call license.

Frankly, I think we should take pride in spinning off the ACG and the
SFCG into viabie contest clubs.  No doubt activity in AL and SC has
picked way up due to having their own local contest clubs.

The GCG is the splintering that I opposed and still regret although I
have been a member of GCG since the start.  It was started by a group
who were not happy with the SECC and its leadership, meaning me. They
wanted to have more in person meetings (which I do not and did not
oppose).  Also, they wanted to include W4DXX in Bainbridge, who was
outside the SECC ARRL circle, but within the other contest circles.
W4DXX is not very active in contesting these days.  When WW4LL, W4BW and
others were starting up GCG, I offered to let them be the officers of
SECC and make it anything they wanted. WW4LL had been an officer of SECC
just prior to that time.  But, they said they were too far down the road
to turn back.  Both SECC and GCG have  requirements that a minimum
number of scores be submitted for credit to the clubs each year, but
SECC has never enforced it and I think we should delete that from the by
laws.  We have had folks go inactive or go off to school or otherwise
move elsewhere and come back and pick up right where they left off.  GCG
has enforced that requirement, more in past years than in recent years I
think and the only appeal I know of to remain a member without having
met the two contest submission requirement was granted.   The main
difference between the two clubs that cover much of the same area is
that SECC has attempted to be more inclusive.

I wish there were some way to combine SECC and GCG again, particularly
for score submission.  With the larger CQ contest circle, it should be
easier that it was at the time of the split.

Again, I don't want to be president of SECC for life and invite others
to speak up.  If there is enough interest, I'll appoint an officer
nominating committee.  73, John, K4BAI.

I am sending a copy of this to Fred, WW4LL.  I am not sure who is
president of GCG right now, but Fred is the glue that holds it together
and the host for the only multi ops being held in GA these days (other
than family stations).  I don't want it to be said that we are having
this conversation behind the backs of the GCG members.

73, John, K4BAI.

On 11/11/2020 12:05 AM, Jeff Clarke wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Jeff,
>>>
>>> Ed, K3DNE, is President of the SFCG and has been very interested in
>>> boosting activity of that group. Know it wasn't my place to do it,
>>> and hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of forwarding this
>>> to him for his consideration even before the SECC group spoke up.
>>> Give him some time to think up some options too. We've talked about
>>> activity and I know he is open to and actively seeking ideas. I
>>> copied him in on this email too so you two have each other's email
>>> address.
>>>
>>> As to SECC activity, that's why I now belong to both the SECC and
>>> SFCG -- and the unmentioned DDCC. If the SECC had been an active
>>> organization I wouldn't now be posting scores for the SFCG. John,
>>> K4BAI, and I talked about this years ago. I was very active in the
>>> club and post all the time. Not because I'm a know-it-all as some
>>> seem to think, but because I'm enthusiastic about contesting and
>>> love to share what I've learned and discovered about it with others.
>>> Usually it is stuff others taught me and experienced ops already
>>> know. But I digress... In my opinion, the SECC has been fading away
>>> for a long time. Hardly anyone seemed interested and anything other
>>> than a post of your score was a rarity. You couldn't drum up a
>>> conversation no matter how hard you tried. I asked myself what the
>>> point of a contest club is if there isn't any sharing of ideas. The
>>> spinoff and other regional groups you describe tell me I wasn't the
>>> only one that felt that way. Haven't told you, but I've been very
>>> happy you have started to rekindle things a bit Jeff. However, from
>>> my perspective it will be hard to put the "Jumping Ship" Genie back
>>> in the bottle and bring back those of us who have strayed. The new
>>> blood coming in might be the best focus for rejuvenation efforts.
>>> Just my opinion though and I've certainly been wrong many times in
>>> my life.
>>>
>>> The DDCC is drawing talent from this region too. Their location
>>> diversity makes it harder for them to compete in an ARRL circle
>>> event though.
>>>
>>> So, I guess to sum up I'd say targeted regional competitions are a
>>> great idea. Ed, K3DNE, has kicked around that thought too. Change
>>> needs cooperation and membership effort. Hope people step up. I did
>>> tell Ed that I thought maybe the SECC was a bit of a giant compared
>>> to the SECC. Not sure how competitive the SFCG would be. But we're
>>> getting (and growing) some good contesters and folks are beginning
>>> to improve their stations, so maybe something can be worked out.
>>> Regardless of how things go with the SFCG it is good to hear the
>>> SECC looking to shake things up for themselves. It's needed.
>>>
>>> Kevan N4XL
>>>
>>> On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 1:54 PM Jeff Clarke <ku8e at ku8e.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Back when I lived in Ohio I was a long time member (and president a
>>> couple times in the 1990's) of the Mad River Radio Club. Sometime in
>>> 1980's the activity in the club was lacking and some disgruntled