[SEDXC] Report from N4XP/mm

Bill Strickland strick@arches.uga.edu
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 01:06:52 -0400 (EDT)

Just talked with Tom at 0430Z Friday AM and they are underway from
Palmyra to Kingman Reef.  They left almost on schedule despite the
earlier delays in getting out of Hawaii and out of Christmas Is.
Several of the ops used the short stay on Palmyra to put their
calls on the air using the /KH5 designator.  They departed Palmyra
about 0330Z on Friday.

The distance from Palmyra to Kingman Reef is approximately 35
miles according to Tom's GPS.  They are scheduled to arrive at
the reef in the middle of their night and will obviously wait
until daylight to begin unloading.  The trip to the Reef should
be about 7 hours or so, and they are expecting to arrive about
1300Z or thereabouts.  I think Tom said their local time was
the same as Hawaii, so their sunrise should be about 1630Z.
Keep an ear out for them any time after that.

There is some concern about the physical size of the Reef.
Apparently some who have seen it lately say that it has "shortened"
up considerably and they may have problems locating all of the
different stations for simultaneous operation.  Time (and daylight)
will tell.

We have THREE club members on the trip, N4XP, K4UEE, and KO4RR.
Hope they all have a fun trip and get there and back safely.

73 & GL in the pile,
Bill

*** Bill Strickland K4DX *** The University of Georgia *** Athens, GA ***
***(Not writing on behalf of the University of Georgia or anyone else)***