[SEDXC] South Forsyth County Cluster Update

Ernie Ernie" <erniez@hatcreekcopy.com
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 09:07:56 -0400

FYI,

The South Forsyth County DX Cluster has been upgraded to 2400 bps.  The
equipment is located on top of Sawnee Mtn, just west of Cumming.  This is a
choice location where many cell, broadcast, and commercial two way
communications towers are located. The Cluster is networked to DXCentral
.com via ADSL line.

To access the cluster, get on 145.09 and type: "c sawnee"
After you've done that and gotten an acknowlegement, type: "c ax3 ks4q"  At
that point you are into the cluster.  Data throughput should be fair, as my
uplink to Sawnee is on a separate channel.

The equipment on 145.69 does not appear to be working at all.  The radio
appears to be history.

There is also access through a NET/ROM on 145.63.  This site is located near
the intersection of GA-400 and GA-141 and runs 50 watts of power.
To access it, get on frequency and type: "c cdx"
After you get an acknowledgement, type: "c ks4q"

Because the equipment on Sawnee is vintage, it is not all working well,
particulary the radios.  My guess is that the newest radio is 15 years old!
All of them are Xtal controlled antiques and may not be entirely on
frequency.

Thus, I am looking for a 3 two meter rigs that have some life left in them.
35 to 50 or so watts of power would be good.  If you've got something you
can donate or sell for a reasonable price, let me know.  Please, no
antiques.

The TNCs are also old.  I've attempted to align all three of them, but some
appear to be far far gone.  So, if you have a MFJ 1270B or 1270C with 2400
bps modem that you can donate to the cause or sell for a reasonable price,
let me know.  BTW, plans are to keep a 1200 bps access point at Sawnee Mtn.

My overall objective here is to provide something that works well, is
reliable, and won't have to be constantly tweaked or massaged by me or
anyone else.  This is why I want to upgrade some of the equipment.

Thanks go out to W4DD, KD4K, K4PI.  We've all put a mix of money, time and
effort into providing this resource for the DXing and Contesting community.
Enjoy!

Regards, Ernie KS4Q