[SEDXC] Tom, N4XP.....

Dr. W. P. Scott wpscott@arches.uga.edu
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 07:50:08 -0500

...has returned, this time to St. Mary's 3rd floor neurological
ICU instead of the Athens Regional Medical Center, at 3AM this
morning with exactly the same bleeding in the same place (in his
cerebellum).  They are currently (as of 7AM this morning, Wednesday)
doing an arteriogram from his groin to his brain to get an exact
picture of the situation and then anticipate doing surgery to
repair the problem area and will probably finish this entire
procedure before noon today.  He is expected to be in the hospital
for approximately three days and then will be sent home for a
recuperation period of approximately six weeks.  Bob, WW4T, who
called me early this morning to tell me Tom had been readmitted
to the hospital, said Tom was personally in favor of doing these
procedures as he has complete confidence in his neurosurgeon and
doesn't want any more recurrences of this problem.  The relatively
long recuperation period of several weeks has nothing to do with
the hemorrhage itself, it is due to the cutting of the muscles
in the back of the neck and head that they have to cut to get
to the area which needs the repair and the need for them to all
heal properly.  That's the latest news I have on Tom's condition
as of this morning.  Bob said both Tom and Linda are satisfied
this will put an end to the problem and his doctor tells them
that "once in a while we get a bleeder type leak in the brain
that will reappear and we just have to go in and fix it."  I
will keep you posted on the ongoing results of the operation.
I know we are all sorry that it has happened all over again and
I know Tom has everyone's best wishes and prayers going for him.

Best 73,

De Pat Scott, W4NW
Athens, GA